Posts for tag: sprained ankle
What your doctors in Montvale and Hackensack want you to know
A sprained ankle is one of the most common injuries you can experience. So how do you know you’ve actually sprained your ankle? There are some definite signs and symptoms to look out for. Your doctors at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute want to share what you need to know about sprained ankles. They have offices in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ to serve your needs.
You may have sprained your ankle if you experience:
- Pain around your ankle that can be severe
- Swelling and bruising around your ankle
- Your ankle popping when you move
- Ankle instability and unexpected movement
It’s easier than you think to sprain your ankle, especially if you are getting older. That’s because your ligaments, tendons and muscles aren’t as strong or flexible. If you move incorrectly, you can sprain your ankle easily. It’s also easy to sprain your ankle if you play sports like basketball, tennis, running, soccer or football which involve sudden movements.
If you do sprain your ankle, you can take some easy steps at home to help. You can try:
- Elevating your ankle during the first 48 hours
- Resting and taking weight off your ankle
- Icing your ankle for 20 minute periods
- Wrapping your ankle in supportive bandages
It’s often best to see an expert like your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute. They will recommend effective treatments to get you back on your feet, including:
- Wearing a brace or walking cast for support
- Using crutches initially to take the weight off of your ankle
- Physical therapy, stretching and exercises to improve balance stability
Don’t let yourself be sidelined by a sprained ankle when you can get help with just a simple phone call. Your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute can help. They have two convenient office locations in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ, so call today and get back on your feet!