Posts for tag: Bunion Surgery
Is it time that you considered the benefits of getting bunion surgery in in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ?
Bunions are a common foot problem but one that won’t go away on its own and may require surgery. Of course, surgery is not always the ideal or best first choice for repairing this deformity. In fact, most people can get away with managing their symptoms with simple, non-invasive measures to prevent the bunion from getting worse; however, our Hackensack and Montvale, NJ, podiatrists are here to provide the telltale signs that it might be time to consider bunion surgery.
What is a bunion?
A bunion is a hard deformity that sticks out at the bottom of the big toe. It can cause pain and discomfort when wearing shoes, particularly if the shoes put pressure on the bony growth. Over time, a bunion can also cause the big toe to angle inward on the other toes. While a bunion cannot be corrected without surgery, any symptoms you experience as a result of your bunion can often be properly controlled with non-invasive options such as:
- Wearing shoes that offer your toes ample room and don’t put pressure on the bunion
- Wearing shoe inserts (also referred to as custom orthotics)
- Splinting or padding the bunion
If these measures don’t provide you with relief then it’s time to visit our Hackensack, NJ, foot doctors for more aggressive care such as corticosteroid injections.
When should you consider bunion surgery?
Most people wonder when it’s time to get bunion surgery. It might be time to repair this deformity if:
- You are experiencing severe and chronic pain and swelling
- You have difficulty walking around without pain
- You have to change your daily activities
- You are depressed or feel like your quality of life is impacted by your condition
- You can’t wear shoes without pain
If you are dealing with severe bunion symptoms that just don’t relent no matter what treatments you try, then it might be time to sit down with our bunion specialists at Podiatry Foot and Ankle Institute in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ. Let’s get you the relief you deserve.
What your podiatrists in Hackensack and Montvale want you to know
Bunions can be debilitating and painful. If you have a bunion, it can keep you off of your feet. Fortunately, there is relief from painful bunions. You may be wondering what you can do to treat your bunion, or if you might need surgery to remove the bunion. Your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot and Ankle Institute can help with advice and treatment options. They have two convenient office locations in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ, to get you back on your feet.
Bunions can occur from wearing shoes that cramp your toes. Over time, the middle joint of your big toe can get pushed outward, causing bone deformity and pain as the bunion continuously rubs against the inside of your shoe. Bunions are more common in women, because women’s shoes are typically narrower and women wear high heels, pushing the toes forward.
You can try a few simple home remedies if your bunion is still small. Try:
- Icing the bunion several times each day
- Wearing padding or inserts inside your shoes
- Taping and cushioning the bunion
- Wearing wide, supportive, comfortable shoes or sandals
For large, painful bunions, there are some non-surgical treatment options available at Podiatry Foot and Ankle Institute including cortisone injections to reduce swelling and inflammation and prescription strength anti-inflammatory and pain medications.
According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons you should consider bunion surgery if:
- You have severe foot pain that keeps you from walking or wearing shoes
- Chronic swelling and inflammation of your big toe
- Bone deformity and stiffness in your big toe
- Inability to obtain relief from pain with medications or proper footwear
If you do need bunion surgery, don’t worry. Your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot and Ankle Institute offer several effective surgical treatment options, including:
- Fusing your big toe joints
- Surgically straightening your big toe and foot
- Removing excessive, swollen tissue around your toe joint
- Removing bone in your big toe
If you are dealing with bunion pain or issues, call your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot and Ankle Institute with offices in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ. Get back on your feet by calling today!