Is it time that you considered the benefits of getting bunion surgery in in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ?
Bunions are a common foot problem but one that won’t go away on its own and may require surgery. Of course, surgery is not always the ideal or best first choice for repairing this deformity. In fact, most people can get away with managing their symptoms with simple, non-invasive measures to prevent the bunion from getting worse; however, our Hackensack and Montvale, NJ, podiatrists are here to provide the telltale signs that it might be time to consider bunion surgery.
What is a bunion?
A bunion is a hard deformity that sticks out at the bottom of the big toe. It can cause pain and discomfort when wearing shoes, particularly if the shoes put pressure on the bony growth. Over time, a bunion can also cause the big toe to angle inward on the other toes. While a bunion cannot be corrected without surgery, any symptoms you experience as a result of your bunion can often be properly controlled with non-invasive options such as:
- Wearing shoes that offer your toes ample room and don’t put pressure on the bunion
- Wearing shoe inserts (also referred to as custom orthotics)
- Splinting or padding the bunion
If these measures don’t provide you with relief then it’s time to visit our Hackensack, NJ, foot doctors for more aggressive care such as corticosteroid injections.
When should you consider bunion surgery?
Most people wonder when it’s time to get bunion surgery. It might be time to repair this deformity if:
- You are experiencing severe and chronic pain and swelling
- You have difficulty walking around without pain
- You have to change your daily activities
- You are depressed or feel like your quality of life is impacted by your condition
- You can’t wear shoes without pain
If you are dealing with severe bunion symptoms that just don’t relent no matter what treatments you try, then it might be time to sit down with our bunion specialists at Podiatry Foot and Ankle Institute in Hackensack and Montvale, NJ. Let’s get you the relief you deserve.