What you need to know about bunions and their treatment
If you have a large bump right next to your big toe, and it is hard and bony, chances are that you have a bunion. It’s time to get some help from your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute in Hackensack, New Jersey.
Bunions can become so painful you may have trouble walking around and getting through your daily activities. They are common in women, with over half in the United States a experiencing this condition, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. This is because bunions are typically caused by wearing narrow shoes that scrunch your toe area. High heels make the problem worse because they push your toes forward.
Your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute will need to examine your bunion and take some x-rays to determine how much of your toe bone is involved. If your bunion is small and non-painful, there is a good chance simple home remedies can make your feet feel better. You can try:
- Taking over-the-counter pain relieving medications
- Icing your bunion for 15 minutes several times per day
- Taping your foot to cushion and support the bunion
- Wearing padding or inserts in your shoes
- Changing to comfortable, wide shoes or sandals
If your bunion is large and painful, or doesn’t respond to simple treatment, your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute may suggest a more involved treatment, or surgery. Some of the treatments available include:
- Injecting the bunion area with cortisone to reduce swelling
- Straightening your big toe and foot surgically
- Surgically removing swollen tissue around the joint in your toe
- Surgically fusing the joints in your big toe together
- Surgically removing some of the bone in your big toe
If you have a painful bunion, don’t wait until you can’t walk around and perform your daily activities. Call the bunion experts, your podiatrists at Podiatry Foot & Ankle Institute with two offices in Hackensack and Montvale, New Jersey to serve you. Your feet carry you through your life, so take care of them! Call today and relieve your bunion pain!